Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Anything Goes finished and ready to donate

Anything Goes
Machine pieced and quilted
Backed with fleece
56 by 64 inches
Made by members of String Thing Along blog.

Thanks to many of you, Anything Goes is pieced and quilted.
Our little experiment in using up all kinds of bits and pieces
in string blocks is lovely, just as I predicted.

You can see that the centre strips vary in size and intensity,
as do the other strips.
I strip pieced it onto a fleece backing,
quilted in the black diagonal strips
and brought the black fleece to the front to frame it.



I'm donating it to the Katie Cares Foundation in Winkler, Manitoba, CANADA.
Katie Reimer, 14, started the foundation after she was diagnosed with cancer.
She wanted to help other kids suffering from cancer by providing supplies and equipment to them.
I'm hoping this colourful throw-sized quilt will bring comfort to a child with cancer.

Sadly, Katie left this world on Saturday, but her dream to help other children lives on.
My teenage niece was friends with Katie for many years,
and I'm giving this to her to pass on to the foundation.
After my niece saw the quilt, she said:
"Katie would think this quilt is AWESOME."

Thanks to all of you for participating.

I linked this my post about this quilt to the Bloggers Quilt Festival
to spread the gospel of string quilts to the blogging world.


12 comments:

Julianne said...

It turned out absolutely beautiful, scrappy quilts are the best! Lets do another one!!

Julianne said...

Hey, when you put fleece on the back, do you also put batting inside?

Jeane said...

I love the quilt and the fleece backing. It was fun to be part of this project so I hope there is another sometime.

Paulette said...

That turned out so nicely! It is beautiful, and I'm so glad it will bring comfort to a child with cancer and brighten their day.

Nifty Quilts said...

It's WONDERFUL!!! You really showed that "anything goes" in string quilts. I love the charity story too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Well done to all who participated . . . and thank you, Brenda, for being our fearless leader!

Wonderful quilt ...

Linda said...

I'd also like to take part in another one if you do decide. I guess I came to late to the party for this one. This one turned out beautiful for sure.

Cheryl Willis said...

I love it, now I can mark a string off my TO DO list, lol
I love how the blocks play so nice together. great setting. proud to be a small part of a fun project. cw

Carol E. said...

very nice, and I like where you are donating it. Glad to hear Katie would have approved.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks beautiful!

Susan said...

The quilt is beautiful...proving that there are no ugly fabric combinations if it's scrappy enough!

It's quite fitting to pass it on to Katie's foundation too...I'm proud to have had a small part in this quilt.

Magpie Sue said...

What a perfect place to donate the quilt. Thanks for spearheading this effort and for finishing the quilt for us. :- )